Sick Day Program - Income Replacement Benefit
Sick day or sick pay plans continue the salary of wages of employees who are unable to work due to accident or sickness.
The plan design may include:
- percentage of coverage (i.e. 100% of income)
- elimination period (i.e. after 1 day of absence)
- maximum duration (i.e. six months of absence)
- accumulation (1.5 days per month)
- pay-out of unused days accumulated (i.e. 50% annually or at termination)
Since the employer adjudicates claims and is rarely able to obtain a medical diagnosis and treatment plan it is difficult to ascertain that the employee is truly disabled.